We all know how important it is to remain properly hydrated and that drinking water should form part of our daily regime, but many of us struggle to incorporate it into our routine. By making smarter choices, by ensuring we make regular trips to the water cooler, and by making it easy and convenient to do, we can all find ways to make drinking water a healthy and much-needed habit.
Here are 10 easy ways to incorporate hydration in your day:
- Make drinking water part of the different stages of your day – when you wake up, before you leave for the office, when you arrive at the office, before lunch etc.
- Make it easy to reach for – keep a bottle of drinking water next to your bed, in your car, on your desk.
- When you get to work, fill a large water bottle at the water cooler and try to finish it before you leave the office.
- Replace your mid-morning coffee with a cup of hot water – add a teaspoon of honey to make it more appetizing.
- If you feel like drinking a soda, visit the water cooler first – it will quench your thirst and if you do end up having a soda, you might only drink half of it.
- Drink a glass of water after each visit to the restroom – not only will it help to replenish your system, but using this as a trigger will help cement the routine.
- If you’re feeling hungry outside of your meal-times, try drinking water before you grab a snack – very often the signs for thirst are mistaken for hunger.
- Opt for water-rich foods if you must snack – oranges, cucumber, watermelon, tomatoes; these are all excellent ways to supplement your daily water intake.
- Before you leave the office to head home, again fill your bottle at the water cooler – if by now you’re weary of drinking plain water, add a slice of lemon or orange to make it more appetizing.
- And at the end of the day when you sit down to dinner, make sure the table setting includes a glass of water, this is particularly important if you’re having a glass of wine – water should match wine glass for glass.