You’ll note that I wrote ‘interesting’ and while you may be openly scoffing at the use of this adjective, I pinkie swear that these facts are not only interesting but are also perhaps lesser known facts about your drinking water.
- The weight a person loses directly after intense physical activity is weight from water, not fat.
- Water dissolves more substances than any other liquid. Wherever it travels, water carries chemicals, minerals and nutrients with it.
- One of the lesser known benefits of drinking water is that it helps keep your joints strong, healthy and lubricated. Your joints need moisture in order to remain strong and flexible, so that your movements are smooth and pain free.
- Drinking too much water too quickly can lead to water intoxication. Water intoxication occurs when water dilutes the sodium level in the bloodstream and causes an imbalance of water in the brain.
- Water intoxication is most likely to occur during periods of intense athletic performance.
- At birth, water accounts for approximately 80 percent of an infant’s body weight.
- Drinking water makes your muscles stronger. That’s because water carries oxygen to the cells of your body, including those of your muscles. Drinking plenty of water enables your muscles to work harder and longer before they feel tired, and this can help you build muscle.
- Water is sticky. The molecules love to stick to things, especially each other. It’s what gives it such a large surface tension. It keeps you alive: it means water can pull blood up narrow vessels in the body, often against the force of gravity.
There are quite a few facts in here that I was vaguely aware of, however, I certainly didn’t know that water is sticky! I think No. 8 now stands out for me forevermore – I love the fact that water is able to pull blood around our bodies – fascinating!
Want to get on the right track to fitness and health? Know you’re not drinking enough water every day? Speak to us at AquAid – we’d be pleased to help with all your water cooler dispenser requirements – keeping you water fit and hydrated rain or shine.